Friday 21 December 2007

Santa's post office

Kieran had been very physically and emotionally abusive yesterday and I think he was tired so when the excursion to go to the Artic Circle celebration was arranged for early morning I left him sleeping. Siobhan and Rich were with him and were happy to sit with him when he woke up.
This was a total disappointment as I had got on the coach thinking we were going to celebrate and enjoy the culture of Finland and ended up at Santa's post office. I was cross about that as not one rep had mentioned that the intinary we were given by Cosmos had been changed. All anyone was ever told was look at the poster in the foyer of the hotel. I could not find a poster detailing any excursions and I made a point of looking for it. I could have cried as I knew Kieran especially was looking forward to this. It was a very busy place with coach loads of people all enjoying the sites and wanting to get into the buildings and see Santa's bedroom and the post office. When I got back and told Kieran he was really upset. The reps were not interested and didn't seem phased. They said there was nothing they could do.
I went to the artic circle celebration that was now in the afternoon and was taken to one of the highest points in Levi fell. The view was beautiful and well worth going up to the point.
When I got back, we got ready to go to the husky farm. We expected to see a real farm with all stages of dogs there and watch them training on how to pull the sledge and maybe see a few puppies. I have to say it was more like a doggie concentration camp. The dogs were chained to the ground and each had a box they could go in if they wanted shelter. It was so sad to see.

We got onto our sledge and Rich had voluteered to drive it. It was really good. I have never seen a dog run and poo at the same time until now. Rich did really well but I have to say that this did not warrant another £325 that Cosmos ask for. We were on the sledge for around 10 minutes and the best part of it had to be the exhillaration of the ride and the scenery it is a shame it was marred by the memory of the dog camp which was similar to battery hen farming.
In the evening we went out to a local pizza bar to get something to eat as the food was not to our expectations. We got back to the hotel were we were seated at a table with another couple who were also disappointed with the intinary and the way this excursion is run. It is so mismanaged. We were called in to see santa and all recieved a gift. One thing I did find disappointing is that I didn't get the chance to add a gift from santa that the children would like. This was supposed to be one of the things the company offers. Siobhan and I had candles, Kieran had an MP3 player and Rich had a magnetic game compendiam. I must say I will be glad to be going home as we have not had the experience we thought we would have.
My travel agent was very good and asked ( while I was in the office) about Kieran's Birthday, the meals and the gifts from Santa) this was added onto the booking form and not passed on to those concerned which amounted to disappointment and as for Cosmos, I will never travel with them again as I didn't like the way the dogs were treated and the way the reps help (or don't help) customers. I paid a lot of money for a once in a lifetime trip and it wasn't what I expected.
I have to say though that Finland is beautiful and I am so glad I made the journey. I don't know what we will be doing for 2008 but I will be contacting Cosmos and letting them know my feelings.