Wednesday 1 August 2007

Jacqui's birthday

It is Jacqui's birthday today and we are going to the Cairo museum of antiquities. This museum has King Tutankhamen's treasures. It also has a throne which depicts his wife, Ankhesenpaaten, annointing him with perfumes. This throne was replicated on the Sonesta st George cruise liner and I was encouraged to sit in it by one of the waiters. Who am I to argue!

I have added a link below that will direct you to the museums website.

http://www.egyptianmuseum.gov.eg/


Mohammed Ali Mosque
We went to the citadel which was surronded by walls and housed the alibaster mosque of Mohammed Ali. It is very beautifullydecorated inside. Alink is below if you would like more information about the Mosque. http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/muhammadalimosque.htm

We then went to look at old Cairo which housed a beautiful little Synagog called Ben Ezra we only went into the door as a service was being performed. The smell of incense
was strong. We stayed long enough to see the children go into the service.

St Sergius Christian church
The best one I saw was the Church of St Sergious. This little church is said to have housed the holy family. It is so beautiful. It has an atmosphbere of peace and was a place I would liked to have stayed for longer as there was so much to see. Like most of the synagogs and churches, we couldn't take pictures inside.

We then went to the market place where Heba was proud of myhaggling skills and I must admit, I suprised myself. Cairo is not a place I would visit again as it is polluted and too busy. I never thought I would see any thing worse than London for driving but this place beats it. No one cares at all! They just go for it and have their hands on their horns the whole time.
We said goodbye to Heba as she had finished her tours with us and we headed back to our hotel to get ready for travelling back to the Marriot Red sea resort tomorrow.